Monday, September 27, 2010

Unit 5 - Subtle Mind

Well, I would have to say that this week’s guided imagery was more effective for me than most. I will admit that I dozed off the last few minutes and was startled when she spoke again. I was able to focus on the breathing and was able to clear my mind, it felt very good. At the end I felt tired but very rejuvenated over all. I am not sure why but the Loving Kindness exercise bothered me. I think it jumped around to much, I liked how this was only focused on my breathing.

Lately I have worked to improve my emotional/spiritual wellness and I have been succeeding. I am finding that I am happier, more easy going and I am beginning to feel better physically. I experience migraines at least once a week. I have not had one for at least a month now. I have also noticed that my temperament is changing, I no longer fly off the handle if something does not go as I had planned. I would say I have improved my spiritual and my physical wellbeing.

4 comments:

  1. I too liked the breathing part of this exercise. I regularly do this if I have trouble getting to sleep. I did find the spacing of the narration a little extensive as I too would be startled and then racing to try and remember what I was supposed to be doing.

    It is awesome that you have been able to improve your mental, physical, and spiritual wellness in this course. Life keeps us busy and we forget to take care of #1, ourselves. This course has helped us to focus not only on that but the way we act towards others. This will be beneficial for both our personal and future professional lives as healthcare professions aren't the easiest to deal with emotionally sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had trouble staying with this meditation but I finally succeeded to see that it does take time to clear the busyness of that "mental chatter." It is great that you notice a difference in your life, especially the relief of the headaches. Migraines are so debilitating. I liked the illustration of our thoughts like the clouds can be blown away to reveal the blue sky abiding there all the time. Our minds are so amazing and I never had any exposure to this attention to developing my inner self.

    Enjoy your journey learning about you this term, Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you that this exercise was easier from the loving-kindness one. I think that taking the simple steps with this one first was easier than trying to focus on so many things like with the loving-kindness exercise. That is so great that you are seeing improvements in your demeanor and physical conditions. I too have noticed that I have become a much calmer person. This week I spent saturday night and then again yesterday in the hospital for bleeding during late term pregnancy. Normally I would have been scared, freaking out, and nervous. This time I was cool, calm, and collected. I thought my husband was going to kill me on the highway with his erratic driving but other than that I was fine. He was a nervous wreck though. I have tried to get him to do these exercises but he never does.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi all

    My only advice to everyone is to keep at until it becomes second nature. I know it sounds easier than its done. When you start experiencing the transformation you wont want to stop. These kind of practices have the most impact on your relationships you will begin to have a real reference point for love, kindness, forgiveness and greatfullness at a whole new level.

    ReplyDelete