I. Introduction
Why is it important for health and wellness professionals to develop psychologically, spiritually and physically?
It is important for health and wellness professionals to develop psychologically, spiritually and physically so they are able to offer holistic options to their clients. If a provider has not themselves developed in these areas I find it hard to believe that they will be successful with their clients.
What areas do you need to develop to achieve the goals you have for yourself?
I believe that I could develop each area further. At this time I am not 100% sure what I want to do with my degree; however, I know that each of these areas need improvement. I plan on practicing meditation in order to expand my spiritual side, I will work on exercising and becoming more active to become more physical and as for psychologically, I need to be more positive regarding my attitude towards many things, mostly my ability to create change.
II. Assessment
How have you assessed your health in each domain? How do you score your wellness spiritually, physically, and psychologically?
I have assessed my mind, body and spirit by reflecting on my goals and where I stand in relation to reaching them. Spiritually I feel I am at an 8, physically I am at a 5, and psychologically I am a 7 or 8. I feel that no one is ever at a perfect 10, there is always room for us to improve. I am about six months from reaching my goal of finishing my degree, along the way I am taking fitness classes so that I can do some teaching when I am finished, but I must first reach the goal I have set for me physically, spending so much time sitting and studying, I am quite out of shape.
III. Goal development
List at least one goal you have for yourself in each area, Physical, Psychological (mental health) and Spiritual.
My goals are clear and simple. My physical goal is to loose 35 pounds. My psychological goal is to graduate and find a career path that suits me and my lifestyle. My spiritual goal is to master the art of meditation.
IV. Practices for personal health
What strategies can you implement to foster growth in each of the following domains; Physical, Psychological, and Spiritual. Provide at least two examples of exercises or practices in each domain. Explain how you will implement each example.
There are many practices that I plan on implementing to foster growth in the areas of physical, psychological and spiritual.
Physical – I want to begin a regular exercise program, such as walking every morning and doing strength training 3 times per week. I would also like to begin some type of outdoor activity, possibly hiking or rock climbing. In addition, I want to work harder on my nutritional practices. After all, I want to offer nutritional counseling to my clients, and I can’t do that if I am not living by my guidelines as well.
Psychological – I am always reading to expand my knowledge, I would like to take some additional classes, one I do not necessarily need but want to take for personal growth. I also want to get some additional fitness training in areas that are somewhat outside my “comfort” zone, things that I may not want to do, but again, options I can offer my clients.
Spiritual – As I mentioned previously, I want to work on mediation. I would also like to begin taking yoga classes. Mostly I want to spend more quality tie with my family.
V. Commitment
How will you assess your progress or lack of progress in the next six months? What strategies can you use to assist in maintaining your long-term practices for health and wellness?
The next six months I will do what I can, I still have that long until I finish school. Once I am finished is when I plan to implement the big changes. Until that point I plan on making small changes that will better my health in all areas. I always keep a journal to see what progress I have made and am currently making. I will continue that practice. I am hoping that as my physical abilities improve I will be able to gauge my progress by the increase in my stamina and the progression to harder exercise/dance classes.
Hi!
ReplyDeleteI also have the same physical goals to begin exercising and lose some weight. I was wondering if you have set a timeline or have taken your intentions a step farther by determining when you are going to start? I only ask this because I am good at setting a goal but not actually working towards it. I went out for a walk the last two days and am so glad that I did - it was not only a relief to get out for a while it also made me feel better by not having that hounding voice in my head telling me that I should be doing something for myself. Go for it!! You can do it...today!! :)